Port-Louis Waterfront

The site of Port Louis Waterfront is rich in history. This waterfront completely changed the scenery of Port Louis in 1990. Some history landmarks still remain in the Esplanade of Port Louis like the two canons and part of the fountain.

The main features of the waterfront are:

  • A 10 000m2 esplanade,
  • 74 retails units housing shops, restaurants, cafés, cinema, kids leisure centre, food stalls;
  • An information centre
  • A children’s playground area built in a ship form with ropes, stairs and a lighthouse for your little captain to run around and have great fun.
  • A 1736 Old Historical Windmill for tourists to visit.

Back in the late 1950s it was known as the Harbour Front of Port Louis. There were Railway tracks crossing the front of Port Louis to the opposite Labourdonnais Square. In 1870s, the place got the name of the ‘Chien de Plomb’ because of the water fountain in the form of a dog that was found there to provide the sailors with fresh water. After almost 20 years, the Port Louis Waterfront is about to undergo a major renovation to be undertaken in 2 phases. The first phase starts off with the refurbishment of the existing Coaster Sheds, the Esplanade and the Astrolabe. The second phase will follow with the redevelopment of the granary and surrounding areas.